GUL Inspection of Refinery Pipelines
- Long Range Ultrasonic Inspection of Refinery Pipelines
- Petreco Oil Refinery, Red Sea, Egypt
- Main Contractor:
- Marinetech / Belayim Petroleum
- Pipeline Owner:
- GUL G3 with Focus Software.
- Inflatable Rings; from 4 to 32 inch
- Configuration; 9.0FR, T(0,1)
- Calibration: Automatic (2135.78 mV)
- Version: 3.94, Wavemaker G3-83
Purpose of Inspection:
To carry out as much inspection and testing in an eight day period of different types and diameters of pipelines such as road crossings, insulated pipes and those pipelines deemed inaccessible; to determine the general condition of the pipelines and to advise where follow up UT surveys should take place.
In total, almost 3kms of varied diameter pipelines were tested in different and difficult to access locations around the refinery.
- Approximately 80 GUL shots were carried out on a number of different sized pipelines at strategic points within the refinery. In total around 3kms of pipelines were tested. Areas of concern were highlighted and further nvestigated using standard UT equipment.
- An excellent overall picture of the condition of the pipelines within the refinery was achieved and follow up inspection and maintenance programs were put in place as a result.
“What amazed us was the amount of pipeline that was inspected in a relatively short period of time. We could never have inspected almost 3 km’s of pipeline in this period using just standard Ultrasonic techniques. At least this way we were pointed to those areas of concern which was key in maximising our resources.”
Amr Gamal; Engineering Manager of Marinetech